Become a Student Ambassador!
We are accepting ongoing applications for our Monterey Bay Economic Partnership (MBEP) Student Ambassador program!
Ready for an opportunity to engage with a triple-bottom, region-wide, impact-driven organization?
Student Ambassadors are 2nd, 3rd or 4th year or graduate students enrolled at a higher education institution in the Monterey Bay region (San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties) who participate in work-based learning at Monterey Bay Economic Partnership (MBEP) with the opportunity to earn a stipend or academic credit.
MBEP’s goal is to offer meaningful work and research experience to local students in the region. MBEP, founded in 2015, is a regional nonprofit, membership-based organization consisting of public, private and civic entities whose mission is to improve the economic health and quality of life in the region. We are a data- and results-driven organization with a values-based, startup work culture. To learn more about what we do, please visit www.mbep.biz.
Interested Ambassadors go through a matching process to determine a focus area at MBEP that suits both their professional interests and the organization’s needs. A schedule is co-developed and customized with the student to work around academic demands and other commitments. The length of the internship is flexible and must be a minimum of one quarter or semester. The number of hours per week will be determined by the student and MBEP staff during the match process. Academic credit is optional. Applications are received and processed on a rolling basis. In the past, students have worked on outreach and promotion, grants research and data management projects to name a few.
Read below for more information on general qualifications, responsibilities and benefits!
Benefits + Highlights
- Any 2nd, 3rd or 4th year or graduate student enrolled at a higher education institution in the Monterey Bay region
- Commit to a minimum of one quarter or 3 months (note: we support academic credit and can provide more hours if needed)
- Interest in MBEP's mission and work
- Responsible, self-motivated, and quality communicator
- Have access to a computer or laptop and reliable WiFi
- Reliable transportation (carpooling will be offered when available)
- Experience with social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube (encouraged)
- Attend orientation and training
- Engage in monthly group check-ins
- Work with MBEP staff on initiative-specific work and/or special project(s)*
- Document activities and hours worked
- Develop and report out on deliverables with assigned Supervisor
- Attend at least one MBEP event
- Participate in at least one professional development activity (optional)
- Participate in at least one informational interview with MBEP staff, member and/or partner (optional)
- Participate in resume review and development (optional)
- Coordinate any relevant coursework for academic credit (optional)
*A special project(s) may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Data management
- Social media campaign development
- Non-profit administration
- Community outreach
- Event coordination
- Grant research and writing
- Research and analytics
*Please note: Timeline and dates are subject to change. We will work with your availability and desired start date as we accept application on an ongoing basis all year. Occasionally, there may be half or full day, evening or weekend events.
- Upon acceptance: assess and identify interest areas and initiative priority areas, attend orientation and training, complete internship agreement and initial scope of work, coordinate hours with Supervisor
- During internship: identify, develop and execute work-based project(s) or research, attend monthly check-ins, fulfill deliverable deadlines, participate in events and professional development opportunities
- Upon internship completion: submit deliverables & summary brief for newsletter, submit rewards checklist to qualify for stipend and certificate, participate in exit interview
2020 MBEP Events (optional):
- April 29, 2020: MBEP Economic Summit (half-day)
- Dec 2, 2020: MBEP State of the Region (full-day)
- Dec 3-4, 2020: CA Economic Summit (full-day)
We currently have openings for our Workforce Development Initiative. Interested students are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter through Monterey Bay Internships. Qualified candidates will be contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. Don't have a resume? Use our online Resume Builder to create one!
We will update this page as more openings become available with our other initiatives. To learn more about our initiatives, please visit www.mbep.biz.
Helpful information to include in your cover letter:
- Express your interest in becoming a Student Ambassador with MBEP (e.g. why are you interested in MBEP’s work? What are your goals?)
- Describe the area(s) or project(s) you would be interested in working on at MBEP
- Include any skills and abilities that you already have and/or would like to acquire or augment during your internship at MBEP
- Share campus and/or community involvement (if any)
If you have any questions, please contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org.