Become a Student Ambassador!
We are accepting ongoing applications for our Monterey Bay Economic Partnership (MBEP) Student Ambassador program!
Ready for an opportunity to engage with a triple-bottom-line, region-wide, impact-driven organization?
Student Ambassadors are 2nd, 3rd or 4th year or graduate students enrolled at a higher education institution in the Monterey Bay region (San Benito, Santa Cruz, and Monterey Counties) who participate in work-based learning at Monterey Bay Economic Partnership (MBEP) with the opportunity to earn a stipend or academic credit.
MBEP’s goal is to offer meaningful work and research experience to local students in the region. MBEP, founded in 2015, is a regional nonprofit, membership-based organization consisting of public, private, and civic entities whose mission is to improve the economic health and quality of life in the region. We are a data and results-driven organization with a values-based, startup work culture. To learn more about what we do, please visit www.mbep.biz.
Interested students go through a matching process to determine a focus area at MBEP that suits both their professional interests and the organization’s needs. A schedule is co-developed and customized with the student to work around academic demands and other commitments. The length of the internship is flexible and must be a minimum of one quarter or semester (academic credit is optional). The number of hours per week will be determined by the student and MBEP staff during the match process. Applications are received and processed on a rolling basis. In the past, students have worked on outreach and promotion, grants research, and data management projects to name a few.
Read below for more information on benefits, qualifications, responsibilities, timeline, and how to apply!
Ambassadors will have the opportunity to earn a stipend upon completion of the program in addition to a digital Certificate of Completion. Also, mileage outside of your designated work base may qualify for reimbursement.
Ambassadors will have access to a rich network of industry professionals -introductions to one of our 85+ members can be made to conduct informational interviews and explore job shadowing + mentorship opportunities as well as workspace tours. Also, we offer career readiness resources + support as requested.
Ambassadors will add to their professional portfolio, gain transferable employability skills, and learn how to translate them on their resumé and apply them to any profession.
Ambassadors will be recognized and featured on MBEP’s website and communications, at different events, and on a rotating basis in MBEP’s Monterey Bay Career Connect quarterly newsletter.
Ambassadors will have the opportunity to make this program their own by designing, assessing, monitoring, and evaluating special projects, co-facilitating meetings and research, planning great events with our initiatives, and more!
Ambassadors may apply for course credit if desired, request a LinkedIn recommendation, letter of reference, sport MBEP gear, and attend MBEP’s annual conferences for free ($150 in value)!
- Any 2nd, 3rd or 4th year or graduate student enrolled at a higher education institution in the Monterey Bay region
- Commit to a minimum of one quarter or 3 months (note: we support academic credit and can provide more hours if needed)
- Interest in MBEP’s mission and work
- Responsible, self-motivated, and quality communicator
- Have access to a computer or laptop and reliable WiFi
- Reliable transportation (carpooling will be offered when available)
- Experience with social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube (preferred)
- Attend orientation and training
- Engage in monthly group check-ins
- Work with MBEP staff on initiative-specific work and/or special project(s): data management, social media campaign development, non-profit administration, community outreach, event coordination, grant research and writing, and research and analytics
- Document activities and hours worked
- Develop and report out on deliverables with assigned Supervisor
- Attend at least one MBEP event (online or in-person)
- Participate in at least one professional development activity (optional)
- Participate in at least one informational interview with MBEP staff, member and/or partner (optional)
- Participate in resume review and development (optional)
- Coordinate any relevant coursework for academic credit (optional)
Please note: the timeline and dates are subject to change. We will work with your availability and desired start date as we accept applications on an ongoing basis all year. Occasionally, there will be optional half or full day, evening, or weekend events.
- Upon acceptance: assess and identify interest areas and initiative priority areas, attend orientation and training, complete internship agreement and initial scope of work, coordinate hours with Supervisor
- During internship: identify, develop and execute work-based project(s) or research, attend monthly check-ins, fulfill deliverable deadlines, participate in events and professional development opportunities
- Upon internship completion: submit deliverables & summary brief for our newsletters, submit rewards checklist to qualify for stipend and certificate, participate in an exit interview
2020 MBEP Events (optional):
- April 29, 2020: MBEP Economic Summit Live-Stream (half-day)
- Dec 2, 2020: MBEP State of the Region Virtual Event (full-day)
- Dec 3-4, 2020: CA Economic Summit Virtual Event (full-day)
Interested students are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter through Monterey Bay Internships. Qualified candidates will be contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. Don’t have a resume? Sign up for free to use our online Resume Builder to create one!
We will update this page as more openings become available with our other initiatives. To learn more about our initiatives, please visit www.mbep.biz. If you have any questions, please contact Ashley Gauer, Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful information to include in your cover letter:
Express your interest in becoming a Student Ambassador with MBEP (e.g. why are you interested in MBEP’s work? What are your goals?)
Describe the area(s) or project(s) you would be interested in working on at MBEP
Include any skills and abilities that you already have and/or would like to acquire or augment during your internship at MBEP
Share campus and/or community involvement (if any)